Thursday, December 10, 2009

So, now what?

Ready for the car ride home

Wylie: "Who are you! Whoever you are, you will not be stealing away the attention I get on a daily basis."

All strapped in and ready to begin my new life with these two people

Little Luke is home and the first thought that came to my mind, naturally was, "So, what do we do now? And where is that 24-hour nursing staff? It's only been one day, but I think I got this caring for a newborn down. There are just three basic steps: Feed the baby, change the baby and swaddle him up like a burrito and get my 8 hours of sleep in 1 hour and 30 minute periods between feeding.

I've also been surprised by two things so far: 1.) I wasn't completely disgusted by the actual birth. And trust me, I was right there holding her leg back and I could see everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, plain as day. I didn't faint or nothing. 2.) Changing diapers, not so bad. I think the key is to not take a deep breath while doing it. Plus, and guys I hate to say it, but if she was able to push out a baby from her stuff and suffer rips and tears, then I think changing some diapers is the least we can do.

Tomorrow is his first doctor's appointment with the baby doc. We're expecting it to go OK. The next few days are going to be tough cause wife is trying to breastfeed and it takes a day of pumping and stuff to get it flowing. So right now we have to do a three-step process to feed him that involves both of us. But once that milk is flowing and she can bottle it, then we can work out a sleep schedule where both of us can get a peaceful 6 hours of sleep while the other is in charge of taking care of Luke, and then after 6 hours we'll switch. Teamwork, baby!

Anyway, we also have to get back on track trying to nail down a potential child care facility for when wife goes back to work in March. There's a few places we like, it just comes down to filling out applications and getting on a waiting list.



No comments:

Post a Comment